Smithers Avanza Toxicology Services is committed to ensuring the highest possible standards of animal welfare while helping our clients achieve advancements in medicine and safety.
View the 2016 AAALAC full accreditation letter.
Animal studies remain a vital component in the discovery and development of innovative medicines for both humans and animals as well as the protection of our environment. Regulations designed to ensure the quality of human and animal health and environmental safety dictate the use animals for testing when alternatives are not available. The humane and responsible care of laboratory animals is one of our core values, as well as critical for quality scientific research.
Our husbandry team has established a leading animal welfare program. The members of this team have dedicated their careers to laboratory animal care, each with over 10 years of industry experience caring for your study animals. Our environmental enrichment program considers species-specific welfare requirements and strategies to promote behavioral well-being for our animals. Employees follow our Humane and Ethical Treatment of Animals policy and our teams are dedicated to the identification of refinements and best practices in animal care and scientific research.
Our Animal Care Program is:
- Compliant with the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), OLAW, Public Health Service Policy, and Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- Accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) International which provides independent review and confirmation of appropriate animal care and use
- In accordance with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and our Humane and Ethical Treatment of Animals Policy
- Directed by the Attending Veterinarian
- Monitored, supported and enforced by Smithers Avanza management
Senior Staff - Animal Husbandry Team